Sunday, July 26, 2009

Новгород aftermath

Internet is back at home! Hooray! I just returned from our trip to Новгород Novgorod and had some dinner. It was fun and successful trip...not quite so far away as Псков Pskov, so the bus ride was less sweaty, and we are back in time for the evening to function as an evening.

Saturday was spent on a very long tour of the city, which made the rounds to all of the historic monuments and churches. Definitely the highlight for me was a dip in Река Волхов the Volkhov River! A very rapidly flowing river indeed.

This morning, we visited a monastery located fifteen minutes from the city center next to a lake. One of the monks gave us a quick tour of their main church and moved us along to the exit. I really liked it there...though perhaps the flowers die and shrivel after the summer, I'm sure the winter is idyllic in its own dark and frigid way. I guess I don't really have any interest in becoming an Orthodox monk, though, so they'll probably never let me visit for more than a few minutes.

I've been practicing (violin) more lately. A few days after I started playing on the street, I began to look at some new Bach, and now, all of the sudden, I've been practicing regularly. Funny how quickly one can snap back into old habits. Must be like hell to quit something that's chemically addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment