Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Synogogue, cucumbers

I'm eating a cucumber that I think is from the дача dacha. I've been finding cucumbers in the fridge and on the table. If I don't keep up, they accumulate, so I've been eating them at odd hours.

We visited the Grand Choral Synagogue on Tuesday. It was surprisingly light...especially after seeing so many orthodox churches which all share a certain architectural style, necessary to support onion domes, which results in a rather dim setting. After the tour, I found a store that sells kosher food, including kosher meat. This was a great triumph...I bought some beef jerky. Apparently, there's a kosher restaurant nearby which I didn't bump into, but maybe I'll have a chance to go back.

With only a week and a half left, people are starting to get antsy about cramming in as many things as possible before our departure. Actually, I don't know if anyone but myself feels this way, but I assume they do. Anyway, I'm determined to have some sort of activity after school tomorrow...restaurant, bar, or museum. Or even just park sitting somewhere in the city center. It's easy to fall into the trap of walking home after school, doing homework, and then being too tired to leave the island. Takes some effort.

On the way home from the museum, I sat with a few people in a park/square with a statue of Rimsky-Korsokav. He's got quite the beard. It's nice to be in a place where around any corner, there's a good chance of happening upon a statue of a famous composer. Or more likely, Lenin.

2 comments:

  1. wow - only a week and a half left ALREADY? geez, it flies by doesn't it.

    contact me when you're back stateside, leo! i'm very excited to be leaving soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leo, good luck with the cucumbers!
    Love,
    Fluffy

    ReplyDelete