Sunday, March 22, 2009

post-Wedding

I practiced my violin for a bit this morning. The nice thing about being off-campus is that I can literally roll out of bed and start playing. Even if it's not that productive and my fingers are still a bit sleepy. Before shower, clothing, breakfast. I hope I didn't upset any of the neighbors. But it was fun to play as my parents milled about, my dad in the shower and my mom spying on my music.

I met a distant relative who graduated from Williams! He is an '88 alum and had Morty (now our outgoing President) as an Econ 101 prof. Apparently there used to be a pizza place on Spring Street, a trucker restaurant in North Adams open from 12am-6am, a sandwich shop alternative to Pappa Charlie's. For one of his Winter Studies he went to Hawaii as a 99 to study humpback whales. Political Science and Econ major. And he was on one of the original committees that planned Mass MOCA, back when it was an absurd dream. Very nice guy!

There was a magnificent pile of lox at the brunch. Prior to our endowment meltdown we used to have lox at each Sunday brunch (at Williams,) but now, if we're lucky, we'll have lox-flavored cream cheese. I think maybe they should bring back lox to help build consumer confidence. If people see that Williams has lox at Sunday brunch, maybe they will invest in the stock market.

The wedding itself was very nice. A home-made chuppah (Jewish wedding tent,) a tasteful service, a festive celebration. The couple is around 30, so most of the music played was from when I was in 5th and 6th grade - the time of life when I was probably most aware of popular music. So it was very nostalgic for me.

Instead of taking the train to Philadelphia, I'm getting a ride from some (other) distant relatives. So now I have to wrangle with Amtrak and try to cancel my ticket and then pack and leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment