Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Washington, D. C., Day 2

Today was not as productive as thought it would be, mostly because I didn't get up until 12. But I think my late start was actually a good thing because I finally got a full night's sleep...and maybe tonight I will get to bed early enough.

I spent a good chunk of my afternoon waiting around at the passport office. There were hundreds of people milling around in line and a surprising number of babies. There was one baby in particular that was very tiny! After waiting for an hour and a half, I learned that my passport is in Charleston, South Carolina and will arrive in about a week. So by the time I had finished with that, it was too late to get to a museum or anything. I tried to go to the Capitol visitors' center but I was denied entry because of my Swiss army knife. They told me I could leave it in the trash and try to retrieve it later, which was at least a constructive suggestion, but I said I'd find something else to do instead.

On my way to visit my sister at her work, I had a chance to walk around the Capitol building and take some pictures which I will post once I am reunited with the necessary technology. Everything is blooming and flowering already. I remember this from when I was visiting Johns Hopkins - nature is about three weeks ahead around here.

Tomorrow I'm planning to visit the Library of Congress and the National Museum of American History, a branch of Smithsonian. This will all be made possible by me getting up early! I think I'll skip the Supreme Court, though it's definitely something I should do and want to do some time.

And my itinerary is finally confirmed! I'm taking a train from D. C. early Thursday morning, staying in New York for a few hours, and then taking a train to Schenectady, arriving at 6:30 pm. So that gives me some time to settle here for a little bit.

1 comment: