Sunday, May 24, 2009

Almost almost done

...with the year. I'm sitting in the basement of Sawyer (library) about to complete my final assignment. Apparently for the music theory presentation from a couple of weeks ago, I was supposed to have written a paper on what I said. A sort of historical record - evidence that I said anything at all.

Sawyer is largely vacant at this time of year. Only a few people have tests remaining and the weather is very nice today. I'm not feeling particularly devastated by the fact that I am stuck in the library finishing work a full 24 hours after I thought I would be done. I've done a lot of interacting with other humans over the past couple of days and I am feeling refreshed by the sterile silence of this space.

I just wrote an email to the Student Symphony listserve inviting them to watch Amadeus tonight. I also mentioned that I wouldn't be conducting next year, information that I think is news to most of them. Though I guess people perhaps figured out that I would be abroad. So when I get back in the spring, I will rejoin the violin section full-time.

I think that aside from all of the reasons I have for not conducting (time, stress, kind of just want to play the violin) one big consideration is that even though I like conducting, there's really no reason for me to prevent someone else from conducting after I've been doing it for an entire year. I think I might stick with it if there weren't any other capable and willing prospective conductors, but there are, so why the hell should I hog the podium.

A friend from my entry has joined me at my table. Sort of ruins the silent solitude, but I've had about enough of that for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment