Sunday, May 31, 2009

frost?

We spent all of today protecting the farm from frost. Still, probably more than half of the farm remains unprotected. The tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini/yellow squash are covered with either buckets or tarp. But materials are limited, so I suppose many of the plants will die if there is indeed a frost. The forecast is for a low of 34 in Williamstown proper, so with the rise in elevation on the way to the farm, it will be just around 32.

Of course, if it doesn't frost, we will feel silly for having spent the entire day covering the zucchini with buckets. But that's how it goes.

Yesterday, I read the first chapter of The Grapes of Wrath three times. This repetition was mostly because I kept falling asleep. I definitely don't blame the book, and I don't think this was entirely the result of sleep deprivation, for a change. The main thing was that I was trying to read in very sleepy locales: atop a sunny picnic table, in my bed, in my bed the next morning. I think when I read tonight before sleep, I will start with the second chapter.

The seniors are starting to return from their week in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Not all of them went to Hilton Head...I've heard of trips to Nova Scotia, Lake Huron, and some stayed on campus. Senior Week begins on Tuesday, a week to which I have not been invited, but hopefully I will know enough seniors to be able to participate. I was on campus at this time last year, but I only knew about four seniors, so I largely avoided the large gatherings of people.

Last year, when I heard of the senior trip to SC, I didn't really see the point of it. To me, it seemed extravagant and indulgent. I think my opinion of the situation has not changed so drastically, but I'm starting to think that it will be an experience that I indulge in when I am a senior. For much of my life until now, I have considered myself above such communal experiences: aloof, self-contained, independent. I think this phase of my life might be ending. Perhaps it has already ended. Maybe by the time I'm a senior, it won't make as much sense to spend a week gallivanting around Hilton Head; this is something I will know when it comes around. But I think there will be times, and perhaps this will be one of them, when I am willing to compromise my sensibilities in favor of arguably unnecessary socialization.

Because considered in isolation, any socialization could be construed as unnecessary. But then where would I be? In Sawyer, doing homework? Practicing my violin? Both of these things I love to do, but I'm not sure that I would be better off without breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment