Monday, May 11, 2009

crazy glasses?

It's surprising how something that I thought I didn't care about can blow up when someone else thinks I care about the thing. And of course, if I reiterate that I don't care about the thing, then it just seems like I'm in denial. And by now, I've spent so much time thinking about the thing that I've started to genuinely care about it. I'm so malleable.

I haven't supplied any details about this particular thing, partially because I don't feel like it and partially because I suspect the principle applies to a variety of things.

Perhaps all of this means I should care less about what people think.

I think caring about what other people think is underrated. Of course I don't mean that you (or I) should always act to please others. But it seems like even thinking about, considering what other people think is taboo. I'm not sure I understand why.

For example, the last time I went to get new glasses frames after my old ones broke, I wanted to get a pair with thick circular rims. I thought it was a great idea, but then I became a bit self-conscious thinking about what other people might think. Each time I met a new person, he or she would almost certainly notice my glasses first. This prospect worried me. I cut my hair for the same reason. I don't want people to judge me based on my appearance, so I maintain a rather bland appearance. Sure, then some people think I'm bland, but I think this is an easier first impression to surmount.

Maybe not. I'm not even sure if this is an effective approach. Now that I think about it, lots of people do think I'm bland at first. I'm pretty sure lots of the people who hang out with me have concluded that I'm somewhat less bland than they originally thought. So maybe I should go get some crazy glasses and people will be primed to think I'm interesting. I don't know why I said blandness is an easier first impression to surmount. That doesn't make any sense.

And somehow, I'm back to caring about what people think. I think most people do.

Perhaps if someone can convince me that I care about something, it means that I in fact did care about the thing all along and I just hadn't admitted it to myself.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason your last paragraph reminded me of lockboxes...

    ReplyDelete