Saturday, May 2, 2009

keeping perspective

I've been trying to meet lots of new people lately, but I can't keep up with all of their names. So lots of times I'll recognize someone and not remember his or her name. But I'll want to say hi, so about half the time, I say "Hi! I'm sorry, I don't remember your name," and half the time I'll just say "Hi!"

Part of the problem is that most sophomores aren't meeting lots of new people, especially at the tail end of the year, and so I'm the only one wandering around campus not remembering anyone.

A whole pile of people are having senior recitals tomorrow and then the Student Symphony dress rehearsal is from 8-10. If I go to the Elizabethans' concert, which I'd sort of like to go to since I've never been to one, there will be performances from 12:30 - 7:30 with no breaks. I think I might just go to them all. My idea is that even if I go to only half of them, my day will still be pretty much shot. And I know all of the performers...and some of them came to my recital...and I think it's important to go to these things.

In one of the books for my history class, I found this quote of Lee Iacocca, former president of Ford and then Chrysler in the 70s and 80s:

I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who can't seem to control their own schedules. Over the years, I've had many executives come to me and say with pride: "Boy, last year I worked so hard that I didn't take any vacation." It's actually nothing to be proud of. I always feel like responding: "You dummy. You mean to tell me that you can take responsibility for an $80 million project and you can't plan two weeks out of the year to go off with your family and have some fun?"

What a great approach. I'm partially posting this so that I remember it. Even though I totally agree with Lee, it's awfully difficult to keep things in perspective with everyone hollering about deadlines and other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment