Monday, May 11, 2009

no more changes

I'm taking a short break from work. So this post can't take as long as they usually do.

My piece, an elaborate, edited version of my April 16 post, came out today in Monkeys with Typwriters, a non-fiction essay magazine at Williams. Some people have told me that they liked it, but I'm not so sure about the whole thing. After having spent a while editing and tweaking the story, it feels somewhat contrived. The whole process also brought back nasty memories of writing essays for college applications.

Though I have mixed feelings about the whole ordeal, I think I might do it again. Now that I've been through it once, the instinctive shock of revealing a rather personal occurrance to the whole campus might not be so disturbing. And given how much I appreciate and enjoy some of the other pieces, I'm sure someone must get something out of mine.

If no one gets anything out of mine, I blame the editors for publishing it in the first place.

It really is different than blog-writing. I mean to say, regardless of whether it is different, it really does feel different. I don't know why. If anything, a blog more public. Maybe it's because I know that on here, I have a regular readership of about twelve (Hi, regular readership!), while a big chunk of the campus at least glances at Monkeys.

But I am rather surprised that I feel this way. I didn't think I would really care. I suppose it was particularly jarring to see them lying around because I had been meaning to email one of the editors asking him when was the absolute latest I could make some changes.

I'm learning Morse code. So far, I can tap my name. If anyone reading this knows Morse code, please tell me so! We can practice with each other. Or if anyone wants to learn with me. Right now I am very lonely because no one understands my tapping. I tapped, "Hi, Zina!" to Zina, and she just stared at me blankly.

1 comment:

  1. .... . .-.. .-.. --- / .-.. . --- / .... --- .-- / .- .-. . / -.-- --- ..-

    -.-. .... .-. .. ... - --- .--. .... . .-.

    ReplyDelete