Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Summer plans intact!

I just heard from the director of the St. Petersburg program that they will be able to process my visa in time. So I will be allowed to go!

I was getting really worried. Not in a panicky way. I just was starting to think that they wouldn't let me go. I'm not sure what I would have done. There were definitely options. It certainly would not have been the worst thing in the world for me to live at home and get a job at Bruegger's, the type of thing that I've never actually done before. But I'm very glad it worked out.

I think I almost died last night of sleep deprivation. Noah and I were listening to Figaro at around midnight. He was reading the libretto (words) and I decided to close my eyes. This was all fine, but I hadn't yet brushed my teeth. So I got up and stumbled to the bathroom. I was more exhausted, I think, then I've been all semester. Something about it was different from all the times I accidentally fell asleep in Goodrich.

I suspect it had something to do with the 4,600 peppers we had planted earlier in the day. My butt is really sore.

I finally fell asleep, but Alex G. called me at around 12:45 am, rightly expecting that I would be awake. I wasn't, so I jumped up when the phone rang and picked up. He sensed that I had just woken up and wanted me to go back to sleep, but I didn't. I didn't want to wake up Noah, so I moved quietly towards my room, but accidentally walked straight into Noah's room.

When I woke up in the morning, I couldn't find my glasses. The problem was compounded by the fact that I can't see without my glasses. Eventually, Noah found them in the bottom of my luggage bag. I have no clue how they might have ended up there.

I'm not sure if this story even makes sense. The other thing that was strange is that I refused to sleep in my bed because I hadn't put sheets on earlier and I was too exhausted to even think about it. So I slept on Noah's sleeping bag in our common room. The whole experience felt like it was slightly out of my control.

Today at the farm, Bill (the farmer) had us get water out of tires, which is surprisingly difficult since at most orientations, the tires have some way of keeping the water in. The best technique was to throw them on the ground with great force so that a little would splash out.

1 comment: