Tuesday, April 7, 2009

day of birth

Today is my birthday! I have 15 minutes until class starts. There are things that I should probably do in those 15 minutes aside from what I have chosen to do. But I don't care, a) because it's my birthday and b) because I only slept from 4:15 - 6 last night because of all the work I had to get done for classes today. Probably the worst first 7.5 hours of my birthday, aside from the hour and 45 minutes spent sleeping, but things started looking up around breakfast.

I guess that sounds really gloomy. I'm not feeling gloomy, not at all. It just seems like I've probably never had a worse 7.5 hour start to my birthday because for my first 19 birthdays I was probably sleeping during that time.

Actually, my very first birthday (the day of my birth) might have been worse, and I probably wasn't sleeping for the first 7.5 hours, but I don't remember any of the details.

Last year only a few people noticed my birthday and then everyone got mad at me when they realized they'd forgotten it. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want to brag about it being my birthday. So this year I've tied a piece of yellow ribbon to my head, to a tuft of hair. So far it has been fairly effective. Even if they don't figure it out at first, it's enough to get the conversation started.

Today is my busy day (Tuesdays this semester) but that's OK because what else would I do on a weekday? I'm going to try to get to bed early to do the sunrise hike tomorrow. Bob, the Jewish Chaplain, says that something that only happens once every 28 years is happening tomorrow and so we have to go on a sunrise hike. Several people have explained what is actually happening numerous time (Bob, one of my parents,) but my mind has wandered each time, and so I still have no idea why I'm doing a sunrise hike. I'm sure he'll be happy to explain it again. He's a very understanding fellow and has ample reason to think I'm legitimately dim-witted.

Keeping the expectations low.

Today I meet with the coach for Independent Running, the PE course I signed up for. I hope he is kind to me and doesn't make me run in the rain.

But it's snowing! I can always count on it to either snow on my birthday or be Passover. That's OK though. Like anything else, both snow and Passover have both benefits and drawbacks.

Class!

No comments:

Post a Comment