Sunday, April 19, 2009

Topography 1, 2, 3

Brian and I worked on the piece he wrote, Topography 1, 2, 3, until just a few minutes ago. I'm performing it tomorrow at the Schenectady JCC along with Mozart, Bach, Bloch, and Corelli. Perhaps predictably, perhaps surprisingly, I'm by far the most invested in Topography than the others. It's exciting to play a new piece. I hope the audience appreciates it.

I know I've grown to appreciate it more through the process of tackling notes, character, and meaning (if art can have "meaning,") and it seems a shame to only listen to it once. Or to only listen to, or otherwise experience, any type of art only once. If there is really nothing to be gained from experiencing something, some art, more than once, I find it hard to believe that there is so much there to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment