Monday, April 6, 2009

into the swing of things

I just got back from a meeting about a future meeting. It lasted for way too long, but it was a fun meeting. And I used it as an excuse to take a break from my work. I wasn't being very productive anyway, falling asleep and all. So now it's late, and unable to decide between going to bed or doing the work that hasn't been done, I am writing.

I miss being able to work with a group of people if I feel like it. In Arizona, if people wanted to work with a group, they went to the meeting room, and if not, they went to their own room. Not that I ended up doing much work while in a group, but I might have if I hadn't been writing about the trip.

I guess freshman year people can work in their entry common rooms. But my entry common room was smelly. And I think some upperclassmen have a posse to work with, but I don't have a posse. I'm not certain that I would want one, but it would be nice to have one at least for when I have work to do.

My parents taped an envelope to my dresser for me to open on my birthday. For some reason, next to it they taped a miniature cardboard cutout of Barack Obama. Perhaps to instill in me hope.

It's nice to be back in my room. When I walked in, the effects of my weeks of sleep deprivation were just as I had left them, preserved like a museum. Same papers that I had been avoiding pushed to the side of my desk, same pile of books tipped over on my floor, same fallen poster. This was a bit disheartening, but I had a chance to fix everything. It only took about 10 minutes and now the atmosphere is much healthier, full of positive energy.

In fact, things are almost complete and right. However, I don't know if they can be until I find the piano part for the Schubert Sonatinas that I borrowed from the library. I have no idea where it is, I never lent it to anyone, I never played it. It's gone. I've renewed it seven times, hoping that one day I will find it. But it might be worth paying however much just to eradicate the whole situation from my life.

Even though it's not sunny and warm, the grass is now green in Williamstown. They must have used a lot of green food coloring. My window now has a screen instead of a glass pane so I can listen to the hooting and hollering of the quad and the pattering of the rain. The wild animals are not quite as entertaining as last year when I lived in frosh quad, but maybe that's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment