Tuesday, April 21, 2009

schenectady recital

Now is one of those times when I really shouldn't be writing, but I am.

It's a strange thing to not know if you like something or not. You can't know if you'd prefer something a different way until you give up your current way, and by then you might not be able or allowed to go back. I guess that might be a really confusing sentence. So, a real-life example: If I were to quit all of my "administrative" positions to see if I liked things better without them, and then realized that I didn't, I might not be able to get them back. So if I don't want to risk losing them permanently, I can never know if I prefer having them. This principle applies to so many things in life. It is a principle that I struggle with because I really don't like making uninformed decisions, but if forced to choose between uninformed decisions or no change ever, I guess I'll make the occasional uninformed decision.

And I do like managing people, events, responsibilities. Maybe I just need a vacation. The type of vacation where I sit around sipping lemonade and vegetating.

The folks at the JCC really liked Brian's piece. I wasn't sure what they would think, but they seemed very open-minded and excited to hear a premiere. Even though the recital and recital preparation ate up lots of time and energy, now I can enjoy the end result. And I get to do it again on Thursday! Lots of people have said they'll show up, so I hope they do.

Brian and I had a nice drive to and from Williamstown, listening to much of the Beatles' Anthology album. It felt funny, going from one bubble (the purple one) to a sort of bubble of my home life, where I grew up. Seeing people who have known me since I was one foot tall, people who have known my dad since he was one foot tall. Both communities are so familiar to me at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment