Thursday, April 23, 2009

Recital #2

I wonder what I'll practice now that both recitals are over. Berkshire music, first of all! My lovely stand partner will slaughter me if I haven't learned notes by Thursday night. But I have a good chance to start fresh with solos. Maybe Tzigane by Ravel?

At the same time, I think I'd like to keep playing Mozart, Corelli, Bloch, Bach, Simalchik. Maybe I'll stick them into future recitals here and there.

I had a really nice turnout at the Williams recital today. Definitely some people who haven't yet made classical music a big part of their life, maybe haven't even been to a classical concert at Williams, or ever.

I am reminded of something Yankee legend Joe DiMaggio once said, "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best." Some kid or anyone, really. It's such a special opportunity to introduce someone to a different world that he or she hasn't yet encountered. Just as Joltin' Joe would run out every fly ball, so too must I not give a half-hearted performance. Someone who comes to my recital allows me chance to serve as an ambassador, to share my passion...a privilege and responsibility that cannot be taken lightly.

I'm freakin tired. But I'm also happy. Everything that I do contributes to my happiness one way or another, even if sometimes things suck. Like this recital. Major source of stress, especially the Schenectady one which involved so much logistical bullshit. But I'm certainly glad I did them, and I'm happy. So what are you going to do? Most everything comes with strings attached, and I would do well for myself to embrace the strings rather than bitch about them.

Sorry for all the vulgarity, I'm not sure what happened there.

No comments:

Post a Comment